Spring is definitely in the air, and with the warmer weather comes spring cleaning, a change in wardrobe and most likely a revamp in your food and beverage choices. This is what prompted me to ask here in our offices,
“It’s springtime and I was wondering, do your drink preferences change with the weather? When it’s warmer, do you have a different beverage from what you have when it’s cooler? If so, what is your favorite go to drink for the Spring and Summer months?”
I’m sure it’s not surprising to find most of us do indeed adjust our habits with the season. Here are a few responses I received:
- In the spring I prefer something pink and light like a rosé or an effervescent drink like a sparkling moscato. In the summer I lean towards drinks that are more lush, like a mojito, a Campari sea breeze or a margarita.
- My preferences definitely change with the weather! I love margaritas and frozen drinks during the summer!
- Tequila is my favorite spirit but there is something about having a tequila cocktail when the weather is warm that just puts me in a wonderful mood! If I’m going to drink tequila in the cooler months it will generally be in shot form. In the warmer months you will see me drinking margaritas, palomas, silver tequila and Squirt…I love that! I also LOVE sweet tea vodka and lemonade by the pool. Yum!
- Warmer weather means PATIO time with friends! Margaritas at Rio Grande or a glass of Sauvignon Blanc at Nava. I do enjoy white wines all year round but warmer weather calls for a Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling. I can’t deny I do love a cold Miller Lite while watching the Braves!
- With spring comes boating weather! Social drinking aboard me skiff, ‘Li’l Chief’, “captains registry: Sarasota, FL.” Captain Morgan (argh matey), is the number one drink followed by Margaritas and Cape Cods. Provisions aboard any good buccaneer run-about must also include beer (of course): mini Coors, Heineken and Corona, in cans for safety. All enjoyed in moderation, of course, whilst chasing down those scalawags!
Refined backyard imbibing with friends calls for white wines accompanied with garden fresh appetizers. Chardonnay, French or American, is still number one, followed by refreshing whites including: Sancerre, Pinot Gris, Albarino and whites from Alsace. Muscadet and oysters is also a time honored favorite. This year I also plan on perfecting a proprietary blend sangria!
For spirits: vodka, rum and tequila are the most popular, prepared in a plethora of ways.
Here’s to spring – finally!
- For me, summer months are all about light, refreshing imbibes…COLD, CRISP and CITRUS.
Summertime Wines: La Linda Malbec Rosé, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Marques de Riscal Tempranillo (Sangria), Yealands Sauvignon Blanc
Summertime Cocktails: Pimm’s Cup with Hendrick’s Gin infused cucumbers, Coconut Batida with Leblon Cachaça, Freshly muddled Bacardi Mojitos with a sugarcane swizzle stick, Strawberry Basil Martini with No. TEN by Tanqueray Gin
Summertime Beers: Sam Adam’s Summer Ale, Bud Light in a frosty glass, Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Honey Moon Summer Ale
Share your favorite warm weather coolers in the comments! We’d love to know what you are drinking. To find other ideas, visit our Celebrity Mixologist recipes HERE.