THE WESTIN RESORT AND SPA MAUI
2365 Ka’anapali Parkway
Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii 96761
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa is situated along a spectacular stretch of the famed Ka’anapali Beach. This AAA Four Diamond oceanfront resort blends an endless array of activities and amenities with gracious aloha spirit, perfect for any Hawaiian vacation. Located beachfront with spectacular views of Lana’i and Moloka’i, The Westin Maui Resort & Spa is just minutes from Maui’s many attractions, yet remains a world unto itself, where exclusive services, first-rate restaurants, cultured entertainment, and thrilling diversions satisfy every interest.
1. Peel an English cucumber
2. Scoop desired number of melon balls (4 each) pieces out of cucumber, be careful not to scoop seeds into your melon balls
3. Place melon balls in a covered bowl with 1 Tbs. sugar and 4 oz. vinegar for at least 4 hours. Reserve.
1. Whisk 4 oz. crème fraiche in a bowl until slightly loose
2. Fold in 1 Tbs. wasabi tobiko caviar
3. Spoon into a squeeze bottle and reserve.
1. Trim ahi into 2 rectangular shaped blocks
2. Make a small hole lengthwise through the each block of the tuna with a long, thin knife or metal skewer
3. Stuff the tuna with the blanched asparagus spears
4. Lay the tuna blocks each on the end of a nori sheet
5. Tightly roll the tuna into the nori sheet until all sides are wrapped, trim all of the excess nori
6. Lightly dip each block of tuna into the tempura batter, it should be very thin, so the batter drips off of the tuna
7. Sprinkle the lightly coated blocks of tuna with panko on all four sides, then quickly fry in a 350º fryer for about 30 seconds
8. Set aside on cutting board, then slice into 8 slices with a serrated knife.
To make the ahi rolls
3 oz blocks of #1 grade Ahi tuna 2 ea
Spears of blanched asparagus 2 ea
Nori sheets 2 ea
All purpose flour ¼ cup
Club soda ½ cup
Fine panko bread crumbs ½ cup
1. In the center of a serving dish, neatly spoon a wide strip of ocean salad on each serving plate
2. Draw a line of wasabi crème fraiche on the plate, then neatly sprinkle the crème fraiche with the furikake
3. Lay the slices of tuna on top of the ocean salad and sprinkle with the orange tobiko caviar if desired
4. Place a small circle of pickled ginger on the end of the plate, and two of the pickled cucumber melon balls on the other end of the plate. Serve.
Panko crusted ahi blocks 2 ea
Pickled cucumbers 4 ea
Pickled ginger 1 tsp
Wasabi crème fraiche 1 Tbs
Furikake 1 pinch
Ocean salad 3 oz
Orange tobiko caviar 2 tsp
Fresh Cucumber, Beefeater Gin, Canton Ginger Liqueur and fresh squeezed lime bring this eloquent martini to life with its vibrant and refreshing flavors.
Ginger & Gin Beverage Methodology:
1 3/4 oz Beefeater Gin
½ oz Domaine De Canton
1 cucumber slice
1 lime wedge
Shake all ingredients, strain into a chilled martini glass
Garnish with a cucumber wheel
Rich Hinojosa, Executive Chef
Chef Rich Hinojosa began his professional culinary career thirteen years ago as a chef de partie at Azzura Point, the signature dining room at Loew’s Coronado Bay resort in San Diego. In 1999, he moved to Arizona to become sous chef at Mary Elaine’s at the Phoenician in Scottsdale. A year later, Mary Elaine’s was awarded a fifth star from Mobil, a fifth diamond from AAA, and a Grand Award from the Wine Spectator. In the same year, Chef Rich also took the position of chef de cuisine for the Praying Monk private dining room at the Phoenician; this is where his passion for food and wine pairing really grew. After leaving Mary Elaine’s, Chef Rich owned and operated CRAVE: Catering for the Distinguished Palate, a very small, fine catering company that specialized in multi-course wine dinners. Since moving to Tropica at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Chef Rich has been a finalist for the Hawaii’s Top Young Chefs recognition by Hawaiian Hospitality magazine. Chef Rich’s mission at Tropica is to compliment Hawaii’s incredible natural products with bold, balanced flavors to create a truly unique dining experience.
Alex Dreher, General Manager
Alex is from Vancouver B.C., Canada and has worked in F&B for over sixteen years. He became a certified bartender at the early age of nineteen and has held various head bartending and bar management positions from Carderos on the waterfront in Vancouver, to Mark James Microbrewery Restaurants & Pubs. In 2005 he moved to Maui, Hawaii to continue his successful management career with Starwood Hotels & Resorts at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa. He has tremendous passion for mixology, flavorful food, and guest services. He works very closely with his beverage team to create cutting-edge and desirable flavors on his Tropica cocktail list at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Alex is the signature restaurant manager at Tropica and is an awardwinning mixologist.