Area 31 Restaurant
270 Biscayne Boulevard Way
16th floor of EPIC Hotel
Miami, FL 33131
The 16th floor restaurant, designed by famed Los Angeles designer Cheryl Rowley, boasts floor- to-ceiling views of Brickell Avenue, the river, and downtown. Through the adept use of texture and light, the restaurant offers warm, graceful simplicity and understated elegance throughout the venue.
Salt Crusted Dorade
For the fish
1 dorade filet
2 thyme sprigs
1 lemon slice
2 tarragon sprigs
Olive oil to taste
For the crust
2 cups kosher salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 egg yolk
Water as needed
1 egg yolk
Meyer Lemon Preserve Sauce (can be found at local retail stores)
Grilled Fennel Tampenade (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1. In a food processor blend salt, flour and egg.
2. Slowly add water until ball forms.
3. Roll ball with rolling pin and flour out to a size three times that of the fish.
4. Place stuffed fish in front portion of dough and rub with olive oil.
5. Roll fish up and seal edges with egg wash. Trim off excess dough and transfer to oven-proof tray and place in oven.
6. Cook for 20 minutes.
7. Once cooked, let stand for 5 minutes.
8. Carefully remove top and serve with a preserve lemon sauce and a fennel tapenade.
1 ¾ oz Belvedere Pamaranza (Orange)
1 oz Grand Marnier
¼ oz Campari
1 oz Passionfruit.
¼ oz Simple Syrup
1. Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
2. Garnish with an orange twist
Executive Chef John Critchley hails from Boston and brings more than 17 years experience to EPIC Hotel’s innovative Area 31 restaurant. Specializing in seafood, Chef Critchley puts his passion for the sea to work with an eclectic menu offering seafood sourced predominantly from its namesake region, Fishing Area 31. Prior to heading the kitchen at Area 31, Critchley worked closely with some of the nation’s top restaurateurs and chefs such as Todd English, Ken Oringer, and Francois Payard.
Area 31 features a dramatic Mediterranean-influenced menu of fresh, premium seafood from its
namesake fishing region, which is located in the ecologically-sound marine waters of the western central Atlantic. The extensive wine list features Mediterranean vintages along with wines from the Americas. The large half-bottle list offers more than 25 selections along with wines by the glass; an impressive selection of cocktails evoking Miami’s flavor and originality are available at the bar.