National Watermelon Day – August 3rd
Recent popularity of watermelon as a cocktail ingredient has proved it’s by far one of the best fruit flavored mixers for alcohol. It’s a must-have drink in the summer that goes well with tequila, vodka and rum.
Also, get your watermelon facts and test your knowledge below.
From Bobby Flay
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
8 cups diced seedless watermelon (1 pound)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 3/4 cups blueberries
3/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, plus 8 sprigs for garnish
1 1/4 cups Patron Silver Tequila
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a simmer with the sugar and stir over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute; let the sugar syrup cool.
- In a blender, puree the watermelon until smooth. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and strain the watermelon juice, pressing gently on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the lime juice, blueberries and mint leaves. Using a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the blueberries and mint
- Add the watermelon juice and tequila. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour the cocktail into tall ice-filled glasses. Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
- Makes 8 drinks.
2 pounds seedless watermelon, peeled and cubed, plus 1/2 pound watermelon cut into balls with a melon baller and skewered on picks
1 bottle Twisted Chardonnay
6 ounces Three Olives vodka
4 ounces Bols triple sec
4 ounces citrus syrup
In a blender, puree the watermelon cubes. Pour through a fine strainer into a pitcher. Add the white wine, vodka, Cointreau and Citrus Syrup. Stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Stir again, then pour the sangria into ice-filled white wine glasses and garnish with the skewered watermelon balls.
6 fresh shiso (or mint) leaves, plus 8 additional sprigs for garnish
12 3/4 cups (2 3/4 quarts) cubed seedless watermelon, pureed and strained (makes 1 1/2 quarts juice)
1 2/3 cups BACARDI white rum (or to taste)
Crush shiso in the bottom of a large pitcher, using a long wooden spoon. Add watermelon juice and rum; stir. Serve over ice; garnish with shiso sprigs.
1 oz Monin Watermelon
½ oz Patron Silver tequila
1 oz Ocean Spray cranberry juice
2 oz Finest Call sweet & sour mix
½ oz fresh squeezed lime juice
Pour Monin Watermelon, tequila, cranberry juice, sweet and sour mix and lime juice into mixing glass. Shake until cold. Pour into chilled margarita glass. Garnish with lime wheel and watermelon wedge.
How to Pick a Good Watermelon
Although watermelons grow well year-round in tropical climates, they are at their best in the summer. Watermelons should be firm, symmetrical and free from bruises, cuts or dents. A watermelon is 92 percent water, so it should be heavy for its size. The rind should be smooth but not too shiny. The underside of the melon should have a yellow spot from where it was lying on the ground ripening. This pale or buttery yellow spot indicates ripeness and is what pickers look for during harvest time. The rind of watermelon looks hardy, but it is quite fragile, requiring watermelons to be picked by hand.
Seedless watermelons are not genetically modified. They are hybrid watermelons that have been grown in the US for more than 50 years. According to the National Watermelon Promotion Board, only 16 percent of watermelon sold in grocery stores has seeds, down significantly from 43 percent in 2003.
The most surprising nutrient found in watermelon is lycopene. Lycopene, an antioxidant that protects against cancer, is the pigment that gives tomatoes, watermelon and pink grapefruit their red hue. Watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fresh fruit or vegetable — even higher than those tomatoes growing in your garden.
1. True or False:
Watermelon is the most consumed melon in the U.S.
2. What country is the number one producer of Watermelon?
3. True or False:
A watermelon is high in calories, but contains many vitamins and minerals.
4. The largest Watermelon ever grown was?
a. 67 lbs
b. 549 lbs
c. 268 lbs
5. True or False:
A watermelon is in the same family as cantaloupe, pumpkin and squash.
2. a. China
3. False – It’s low in calories and cholesterol free and high in vitamins and minerals.
4. c. 268lbs
5. True – It’s actually a vegetable as is cantaloupe, pumpkin and squash.
‘like’ us on Facebook and be entered to win a new digital camera on September 9th.