This week marks the anniversary of two of the worst hurricanes to hit the US ever. Hurricane Andrew in 1992, a Cat5, devastated South Florida. Hurricane Katrina in 2005, a Cat3, did untold damage to the coastlines of Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida and caused the levies to break, flooding our beloved city of New Orleans.
We offer a toast to a safe and uneventful hurricane season this year!
Test your hurricane knowledge below.
2 ounces dark rum
1 ounce Aunty Lilikoi passion fruit syrup
1 ounce fresh lemon juice (the original recipe) or lime juice (which I prefer)
Orange slice and cherry.
Combine rum, syrup and juice with ice and shake vigorously until the mixing tin frosts. Serve in a double Old Fashioned glass or tiki glass over crushed ice, and garnish with an orange and cherry “flag.”
Now THAT’S a Hurricane!
.5 oz. Captain Morgan Original Spiced (25 oz. per bottle)
.75 oz. dark rum
3 oz. passion fruit juice
3 oz. mango juice
2 oz. sweet and sour mix
1 lime wheel
Add Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, dark rum, passion fruit or mango juice, and sweet and sour mix.
Shake and pour into crushed ice-filled hurricane glass or other specialty glass. Garnish with lime wheel.
‘like’ us on Facebook and be entered to win a new digital camera on September 9th.
- Hurricane Andrew caused an estimated 40 Billion in damages.
- Hurricane Katrina was the largest national disaster to date causing a reportedly 89 Billion in damages.
- Both had significant loss in life, with Katrina claiming nearly 2,000 souls.
- In 1970, a hurricane in Pakistan killed more than 300,000 people.
- When a hurricane is especially devastating, its name is permanently retired and another name replaces it.
- In 1944, the US Navy’s Pacific fleet was crushed by Typhoon Cobra, which sank three destroyers and damaged many ships.
- The word hurricane comes from the Taino Native American word, hurucane, meaning evil spirit of the wind.
Q. When did they start naming hurricane’s boys names?
a. 1979 – Hurricanes didn’t start having boys’ names until 1979. The first hurricane with a male’s name was Hurricane Bob which hit near New Orleans in July 1979.
Q. Hurricanes have devastating power. What facet of the storm usually causes the most damage?
c. Storm surge – The worst hurricane damage is often caused by a storm surge. A storm surge is like a giant wall of water pushed onshore by hurricane winds.
Q. True or False:
A tropical storm is classified as a hurricane once winds goes up to 74 miles per hour or higher. – True