June 22, 2016 | By The Society of Wine Educators
The Society of Wine Educators’ free app, SWE Wine and Spirits Quiz, is available on all platforms. Just look for it in your app store or go to winewitandwisdomswe.com. It offers a series of fun, educational quizzes covering the five major categories: red, yellow (white wines), spirits, sparkling and dessert wines. Here are this issue’s sample questions.
1. What percent of Germany’s vineyard area is planted with red grapes?
2. Which region produces a wine from the Mencia grape?
a) Condado de Huelva
b) Hessische Bergstrasse
d) Ribeira Sacra
3. What region overlaps with some of the Chianti Rufina vineyards?
c) Rosso Conero
4. Aligoté is used in which of the following wine regions?
5. What is Ginjinha?
a) Raspberry Brandy
b) Cherry liqueur
c) Apricot liqueur
d) Apple Brandy
6. What is the main flavoring in Nocino?
d) Green Walnuts
7. What grape is also known as Bouchet?
a) Cabernet Franc
c) Pinot Noir
d) Petit Verdot
8. What type of wine is produced in the Boberg region?
c) Dry whites
d) Dry reds
9. What type of wine is made in Graves-de-Vayres?
a) Chenin Blanc
c) Bordeaux blends
10. What is Newfoundland Screech?
a) Canadian Whisky
b) Flavored Vodka